Recent Cleaning Posts
How Do I Clean My Carpets Myself?
Regular carpet cleaning can make a big difference!
Carpets give additional design and ornaments, especially in our living room where we welcome our guests. Being exposed to sunlight and different people makes it dull and needs cleaning once in a while too. And the truth is, if you don’t clean your carpet, you are putting it to permanent damage, and damaged carpet calls for replacement and does add to your expenses. Keeping it clean is just as important as cleaning any other furniture, fixtures, and fittings in your home. A carpet without a regular cleaning produces unwanted smells and shows visible signs of dirt.
Is it worth getting the carpet cleaned?
Definitely yes. To avail a carpet cleaning company is really worth it. Carpet cleaners are not that cheap but hiring one has several good benefits. Here they are:
- They clean your carpet more thoroughly and deeply than you can. Carpet cleaners are trained and use machines to make your carpet look new.
- They will help your carpet last longer which will make you save more money on carpet replacement.
- Because of their equipment, they will make your carpet look better and smell cleaner.
- You save a lot of time and hassle.
Checking out a carpet cleaning service would be the best option, but if you are too tired to use big machines and appliances, we will give you tips on how to clean your favorite carpet by yourself.
Here are the easiest and fastest steps to clean carpets:
- Use of baking soda. This is the simplest ingredient to clean the carpet. Sprinkle it over the carpet and vacuum thoroughly to remove loose debris. It also works to remove odors in the carpet.
- A mixture of shampoo and warm water. Combine two drops of carpet shampoo with warm water in a clean spray bottle. Spray over the carpet slowly to not saturate the fibers.
- Use a carpet brush to brush off any trapped dirt.
- Soak up the area with dry towels to remove as much moisture as possible.
- Fill a clean spray bottle with fresh water and spray on the same area.
- Get another set of dry and clean towels to soak up and lift the remaining moisture.
- Finish your cleaning by using a carpet grooming brush.
But how often should you clean your carpet? Well, most carpet cleaning services recommend carpets are cleaned every 6-18 months depending on the amount of traffic. If you have young children and pets, it is required to have a more regular deep clean due to the increased amount of dirt and hair that gets into them.
At SERVPRO, we have proudly served Seminole County for over 40 years - SERVPRO of North Seminole County provides exceptional restoration and remediation services for both residential and commercial properties. Call us now for a carpet cleaning company. We have 24-hour service.
How To Get Rid of Graffiti Vandalism on Different Surfaces
Graffiti can appear on different surfaces.
Graffiti vandalism is a big problem especially when your favorite stuff like a table was scratched. It also includes defacing, tagging, writing, drawing of symbols, or placing materials onto any surface without the property owner’s permission. Aside from the physical impact, it has also a financial and social impact on the community as it might the perception of safety. SERVPRO offers a vandalism cleanup service to minimize these problems.
But if you want some DIY tips on how to get rid of graffiti vandalism on different surfaces before going to a graffiti cleanup service, we’ll definitely give it to you.
On Metal Surfaces
- Use thinner like mineral spirits, lacquer thinner, or acetone to wipe the graffiti off.
- Try removing it by rubbing with steel or bronze wool or light sandpaper if the graffiti still remains.
- Try power-washing with a 3000psi pressure washer to further remove the graffiti.
- Paint over the graffiti.
On Wood Surfaces
- For unweathered and sealed with paint, stain, or sealer on woods, try to remove it by wiping with mineral spirits, but if the wood is weathered, do not use this technique as the mineral spirits will be absorbed by the wood, driving the paint further down into the wood.
- Use a 3000psi pressure washer to get rid of the graffiti then observe carefully to make sure the pressure is not driving the paint deeper into the wood grain.
- Sand the wood and re-paint or simply paint over the graffiti.
On Plastic Surfaces
- Try to use a light, penetrating oil to wipe off graffiti. Refrain from using paint thinners as they can soften the plastic and can cause clouding or permanent tackiness of the surface.
- You can also use light rubbing with ultra-fine steel or bronze wool to remove the paint.
- Paint over it if it is still not working.
On Masonry Surfaces
- Power-wash the graffiti with a 3000psi pressure washer but always be careful in selecting the type of tip you use in the pressure wand. Too narrow tip can etch the masonry surface, leaving a perfect outline of the graffiti removed.
- The sandblasting technique is another way. Be careful with the pressure in washing not to allow the sandblasting tip to remain in one spot too long as it can permanently etch the surface. Just be sure that the tip moves over the painted area and the surrounding areas so that the surface is blended.
- If both of the techniques don’t work (power-washing and sand-blasting), paint over the graffiti.
On Glass Surfaces
- The use of a razor blade to carefully scrape the graffiti. Use the razor blade in a holder and scrape at a 30-degree angle to the glass.
- Use ultra-fine bronze wool with water to gently rub the remaining paint off.
- The use of paint thinners on glass can be effective too but razor blades are much quicker and environmentally friendly.
Before cleaning any graffiti, it is vital to take pictures in case someone asks for evidence of vandalism. The sooner the graffiti is removed, the more the offending vandals will be discouraged. If things are beyond control, you can check the vandalism cleanup service immediately. At SERVPRO they offer not only mold restoration or water damages but also graffiti cleanup service. Call us now.
Fire Clean Up For A Commercial Building
Fire damage to a commercial building is a devastating experience.
Fire damage to a commercial building is a devastating experience. After the fire trucks leave, your property will likely suffer from not only fire and smoke damage but also widespread water damage and flooding from firefighting efforts. Therefore, immediate action is crucial to minimize business interruption, reduce lost revenue and productivity.
But trying to clean up the aftermath may be the last thing you feel like doing on your own. When fire, smoke and soot damage are left behind, it can create an unpleasant and permanent problems if not properly addressed. Especially considering that smoke and soot from even a small fire can permanently damage contents throughout the building and may cause odors that resurface for years.
SERVPRO of North Seminole understands how disruptive fires can be for business owners, their tenants and even their customers. So, before you risk doing more damage to your most valuable business assets by attempting to clean it up yourself, you should consider hiring an experienced company like SERVPRO. Our technicians have the training, tools, equipment, and experience to handle any fire damage incident to a commercial building. They can respond immediately to begin the work to restore your business back and running.