Christmas Home Hazards
It's the most wonderful time of the year! With Christmas only a couple of weeks away, trees are up and decorated, Christmas candles are filling the house with smells of sugar cookies or cinnamon, and lights are up outside to add that extra sparkle after dark.
While all of these are beautiful ways to delight in the spirit of the season, we want to ensure that you take the proper safety precautions to keep your family and home safe.
Did you know that December being the peak period for home fires started by candles or misuse of lights?
Here are a few tips that may help prevent a fire hazard in your home:
- Keep those Christmas tress watered! Make sure that you check the water level each day, to help avoid the tree drying out and becoming a fire hazard.
- Do not leave outside Christmas lights on while you sleep. Turn them on for a few hours a night, and then turn them off. (This saves electricity too!)
- 40% of home decoration fires are started by candles. Make sure you place candles in a safe location when burning and do not leave unattended.
We encourage you to always be mindful of potential fire dangers and remain cautious no matter what time of year. However, we ask that you be EXTRA careful during this season.
However, if you were to find yourself the victim of a home fire - you can trust SERVPRO of North Seminole County to have you back to normal in no time!