Fire Damage Emergency Tips
What you can do until help arrives
If you find yourself as a victim of a fire, there are a few necessary measures to take immediately:
1. Ensure the health and safety of those involved. This is best achieved through emergency personnel. As soon as possible, make sure you seek help.
2. When the situation is SAFE and CONTAINED, it is important to assess the damage to your home or place of business, in the case of a wildfire, this should involve both your insurance and local authorities.
3. Restoration. SERVPRO of North Seminole County understands what a devastating and trying time this is for you and your family. Know that we are here to make the restoration process as seamless and as comfortable for you as possible. We will walk with you through this process from beginning to end.
Have Smoke or Fire Damage? Call (407) 323-2422
What To Do After A Fire
- Limit movement in the home to prevent soot particles from being embedded into upholstery and carpets.
- Keep hands clean so as not to further soil upholstery, walls and woodwork.
- Place clean towels or old linens on rugs, upholstery and carpet traffic areas.
- If electricity is off, empty freezer and refrigerator and prop doors open.
- Clean and protect chrome with light coating of petroleum jelly or oil.
- Wash houseplants on both sides of leaves.
- Change HVAC filter.
- Tape double layers of cheesecloth over air registers.
What NOT To Do After A Fire
- Don't attempt to wash any walls or painted surfaces or shampoo carpet or upholstery without contacting us.
- Don't attempt to clean any electrical appliances that may have been close to fire, heat or water without consulting an authorized repair service.
- Don't use any canned or packaged food or beverages that may have been stored near the fire, heat or water.
- Don't turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet. The wiring may be damaged.
- Don't send garments to an ordinary dry cleaner. Improper cleaning may set smoke odor.